23 Wonderful people that changed the world with $10
From California to Cornwall, strangers across the globe have taken part in the pay-it-forward initiative to break the taboo of strangers
Air bnb have had the genius idea to use $1million to ‘rid the world of strangers’.
The campaign kicked off at the beginning of this year when air bnb sent $10 – or the equivalent in foreign currency – to 100,000 of its community members.
They then had to spend the money doing something of their choice for a complete stranger and share it on social media with the tag #OneLessStranger.
With the campaign now in full motion, we thought we’d share with you some of the personal and creative acts of hospitality.
1. This guy who bought a granny a bike jacket and took her for a spin on the back of his motorbike
2. This guy in Toronto is offering to go for a coffee with anyone
— gabriel (@capi_rl) January 14, 2015
3. This girl giving her share to a home less guy
4. This girl who is on a positive note
5. This guy talking to people through a walkie talkie
— JUNE 5th PRESENTS (@june5thent) January 14, 2015
6. This guy who gave a guide book with hand written notes and suggestions in it to lost travellers
7. This guy who bought twelve chicks for a family in Africa
8. This woman who bought a cake and shared it
9. This guy who paid for a woman’s parking ticket whose change was getting refused
Today I met Maya who was struggling to pay for her parking as the machine was not accepting her change so I purchased a ticket for her. She was running late to her job as a psychologist, spending her day helping others. Was great to meet her and help ensure there is #onelessstranger in Toronto. What will you do? @airbnb
10. This girl handing out subway vouchers to homeless people
11. This guy who bought construction workers frozen yogurt on a hot day
AirBnB sent me on assignment to go out and make one less stranger in the world. So I found two construction workers busting ass on a hot day and brought them frozen yogurt. They were mid-job & couldn’t talk or take pictures. #warmup Then I chilled in the park talking poetry with this kid. Next stranger… I’m going after a mom w a tantrumy kid in the grocery. Watch out! #onelessstranger #airbnb #smallworld #bigheart
12. This woman who paid for peoples laundry
13. This woman who bought a man his fish and chips
— Cathy Hornby (@caitiho) January 10, 2015
14. This girl handing donuts out to random people
Using donuts to turn strangers into friends with my sister+friend @designmom and Airbnb. Sounds good, do’nut? 🙂 #OneLessStranger Una foto pubblicata da Jordan Ferney (@ohhappyday) in data:
15. This guy giving out free hugs
16. This guys whose mission it was to find a hungover person and give them this hangover kit
17. This girl giving treats to ambulance workers
18. These two guys handing out free grilled cheese sandwiches to people
19. These two women giving another woman in a nursing home a bunch of flowers
20. This girl handing out mince pies at 7.30am at the train station
21. This person cooking a dinner for a bunch of complete strangers
22. This couple paying for two peoples bus fares, as they didn’t know TfL was cash less
This may or may not have made us tear up a little bit with happiness; such a beautiful and inspiring project.
Little actions can do so many things, like change peoples perceptions or even just improve their day a little bit.